Saturday, March 17, 2018

Family Sponsorship


Family visa for migration to Canada for persons who have eligible relatives in Canada who are willing to sponsor them.

Sponsors must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident: spouse, common-law or conjugal partners; dependent child, parent or grandparent; an orphaned brother, sister, niece, nephew or grandchild (under 19); and any relative if the Canadian sponsor does not have another close relative who is in Canada or who can be sponsored to come to Canada.

The most common type of family class application is for those who are married or engaged to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

Effective October 25, 2012, sponsored spouses or partners must now live together in a legitimate relationship with their sponsor for two years from the day they receive permanent residence status in Canada.

Effective December 22, 2014, eligible spouses or common-law partners have the opportunity to work in Canada while they wait for their application for permanent residence to be processed.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will issue open work permits to certain spouses or common-law partners who are applying for permanent residence from inside Canada, before the approval in principle decision on their application is made.

For more information and instructions on this pilot program, please see CIC’s program delivery update.

If you are a spouse or partner being sponsored to come to Canada, this applies to you if:

  • You are being sponsored by a permanent resident or Canadian citizen
  • You have been in a relationship for two years or less with your sponsor
  • You have no children in common
  • Your application was received on or after October 25, 2012


Learn more about the new conditional permanent residence measure for spouses and partners.

If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor your spouse, conjugal or common-law partner, dependent child (including adopted child) or other eligible relative to become a permanent resident under the Family Class (FC).

If your family member is a permanent resident, they can live, study and work in Canada.

There are two different processes for sponsoring your family under the FC. One process is used for sponsoring your spouse, conjugal or common-law partner and/or dependent children. Another process is used to sponsor other eligible relatives.

Effective August 1, 2014, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has changed its definition of a dependent child for its immigration programs. A dependent child must be under 19 years of age, instead of the previous limit of under 22 years of age. Find out more about the change in the definition of a dependent child. New application kits, forms and fee information are now available. These new forms must be used starting August 1, 2014. Use this web tool provided by CIC to determine how your application may be affected.

To learn more about Family Class Migration, please visit: Canada Immigration-Family Category

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you may be able to sponsor certain relatives to become a permanent resident under the Family Class (FC).

If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must make every reasonable effort to provide for your own essential needs and those of your relative. You are responsible for supporting your relative financially when he or she arrives. As a sponsor, you must make sure your spouse or relative does not need to seek social assistance from the government.

Read more to sponsor your other relatives and determine your eligibility: Click Here


Get Started With Canada

icon icon icon icon icon